Let renowned Brisbane stylist, Laura Churchill help you discover your race wear style to help you look your best throughout the 2014 winter racing carnival.
Fashions on the Field
The fashion stakes get higher each year in Brisbane racing and this winter carnival, major prize packs from Indooroopilly Shopping Centre. You could win a share in over $25,000 in prizes including Indooroopilly Shopping Centre gift cards to use in over 340 stores.
Saturday 7 June – AAMI Stradbroke Day at Eagle Farm Racecourse
Winter Racewear Tips
Style and originality are a major component of Fashions on the Field judges’ criteria on any race day, so wear something that suits and flatters you and aim to make your look your own.
Trends for winter 2014 work seamlessly with racewear, including a nod to the 1940s which plays out in over-the-knee skirts balanced with structured shoulders and jackets. Leather and lace are never out of place at the track, so we’ll expect to see a lot of those again this year, as well as faux furs and perhaps some feather details. Florals are the other perennial popular favourite and this season they’re muted and understated rather than bold and bright. In menswear, slim cut suits are sharp in navy and grey, and details including pocket handkerchiefs, cufflinks and floral lapel pins add the right amount of personality to your look.
Dress to impress and follow the race day guidelines for ultimate fashion success.
Dress available at Jigsaw, suit, shirt and tie available at SABA.
Dress available at Cue, coat available at Veronika Maine.
Suit, shirt and tie available at SABA.
- Match your handbag, shoes and millinery to your outfit. It’s one area of fashion where matchy-matchy still looks best
- Wear a headpiece in wool, felt, florals or feather, not straw or sinnamay
- Wear hosiery with a skirt or dress. It’s expected in Fashions on the Field and advised for general entry
- Pay attention to the little details. For ladies, that means faultless hair and hosiery, manicure and makeup. For the men, a pocket square, lapel flower and even coloured socks can go a long way to helping you stand out in the crowd
- Be aware of dress regulations. For men at Brisbane Racing Club functions, a long-sleeved shirt, tailored trousers, a tie and/or a jacket or blazer apply in member’s facilities
- Keep warm. You may look amazing in your dress, but if you have bare shoulders or legs you’ll likely freeze in June
- Have fun! It’s a great excuse to dress up and have a great day out
- Dress as though you’re headed to a nightclub. Elegant and sophisticated turns heads for the right reasons – let that be your guide
- Wear brand new, uncomfortable shoes. Ensure you will be comfortable for hours on your feet if necessary and if you really want to be prepared, pack fold-up flats in your handbag for instant relief in case of emergency
- Wear anything too short or tight
Hair tips from Oscar Oscar Indooroopilly
- Always shampoo twice and condition from mid-lengths to ends, this is the best foundation to any style
- Wearing your hair up will save you fussing with it throughout the day. A low bun on the side or in the middle is a great option to wear with headwear, and you can incorporate a textured braid for interest
- For a versatile product, Aveda’s Air Control is a fantastic flexible hold hair spray that doesn’t leave build-up
Makeup tips from The Body Shop Indooroopilly
- Why not try a pop of colour on the lips to match your race day dress. Bold lip colours are on trend and great for a daytime look. To keep your pout looking perfect all day, use a lip liner to fill in the entire lip, then apply lipstick over the top. (Our Rosy Red lip liner looks fabulous with our Colour Crush Lipstick in Red Siren)
- Be sure to use a primer to keep your foundation looking flawless all day long. The Body Shop’s ‘All-In-One Instablur’ mattifies, reduces the appearance of pores, hides imperfections, and prolongs base wear. Pressed powder and blotting tissues are great additions to your handbag for touching up and reducing shine.
- To create glamorous eyes without going overboard for daytime, try a splash of liquid eyeliner over the upper lash line, finishing with a flick. A slanted brush works wonders for those new to liquid liner.